SPACES - National Science Foundation Scholarship for Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering
The following criteria shall be used in the annual selection of the recipient(s):
1. Applicant must be a new freshman
2. Applicant must be majoring in civil or environmental engineering
3. Applicant must have a FAFSA on file and must qualify for the Pell Grant
4. Applicant must be in top 50% of their high school class and/or have a high school GPA of 2.7 or higher.
5. Applicant must submit a recommendation letter from a teacher, counselor, or employer that addresses their academic ability/potential or work ethic
6. Applicant must submit an essay that demonstrates their interest in civil or environmental engineering as a people-serving profession.
Top candidates will need to participate in a virtual online information and interview session. This scholarship is renewable if recipient maintains a cumulative GPA of 2.7 and continues to major in civil engineering or environmental engineering. Recipients can receive funding for a maximum of four years total or eight semesters.
Beyond providing funding, the goals of this scholarship program is to (1) Expand scholars’ sense of identity and confidence in themselves as civil engineers or environmental engineers and (2) Cultivate a community and place-based perspective in the scholars. Therefore, in addition to benefiting from the scholarship funding, scholars will be supported by active participation in:
• Mentoring from faculty and staff
• A 1-credit seminar class their first three semesters
• Special general education class sections
• Several local and a larger week-long field trip
• Additional funding possibilities for high-impact practices (travel, research, and more)